Currently, there are three types of regulated early learning and child care programs available on OneList:
- Centre-Based - includes child care centres, nursery schools and preschools; all are licensed by the Ministry of Education, Child Care Quality Assurance and Licensing Branch;
- Home-Based - caregivers provide care for up to five children within their own homes under contract with a licensed agency (licensed by the Ministry of Education, Child Care Quality Assurance and Licensing branch).
- Region of Waterloo Home-Based Child Care
- School-Based - before and after school programs are offered for children attending full day kindergarten and also children up to grade 6; these programs are regulated by the Ministry of Education.
- Waterloo Region District School Board
- Waterloo Catholic District School Board
Finding high quality child care is important for your child's safe, healthy growth and development. To help parents know what to look for and how to evaluate quality, some resources are provided below.
- http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/childcare/index.html - to learn about high quality licensed early learning and child care in this area:
- Raising the Bar (RTB), Waterloo Region’s Quality Initiative for licensed early learning and care. For more information, please visit our Quality Initiatives webpage
- Canadian Child Care Federation – a quality checklist of things you should look for in a high quality ELCC program